Within the Clinical Research Unit (CRU), the following well-trained staff conducts clinical trials procedures, the organization and planning and the study assessments:
- Research nurse / study coordinator
- Research Technical Ophthalmic Assistant
- Research Orthoptist
- Clinical trial assistant
- Project manager protocol development and ethical approval procedures
In recent years, the staff of the CRU has been certified for a large number of ophthalmic study procedures.
Vienna Reading Center (VRC); Fundus Photograph Reading Center University of Wisconsin; Duke Reading Center; GRADE Reading Center Bonn.
- Fundus photography and Fluorescence angiography (FAG)
Duke Reading Center; GRADE Reading Center Bonn; Vienna Reading Center (VRC); Fundus Photograph Reading Center University of Wisconsin.
- Goldmann perimetry
EMMES Reading Center
- ETDRS Refraction and Visual Acuity Testing: training and certification
EMMES, Etonwood, CertiEyed and Toutchstone, ClinicalEdge, Klini Trial and CertiEYED associates.
R.O.I. has in house services for lab, ECG and Thorax X-ray.
Visual function tests
- CSV-1000 contrast sensitivity test (Vector Vision)
- HRR color vision test
- Farnsworth 100 Hue color vision test
- Ishihara color vision test
- Precision Vision Illuminator Cabinet
- ETDRS Visual Acuity charts R, 1m, 2m (10% and 25% contrast) and 4m lane
Lab and pharmacy facilities
R.O.I. has in house services for Lab, ECG and Thorax X-ray. Pharmacy and lab in -80° , -20° , +4° and RT storages for study drugs and lab samples are being continuously monitored with the IceSpy system 5.
Patient recruitment capacity
Consultations: approx. 145.000 per year
Surgeries: approx. 13.500 per year, including 7.500 cataract surgeries
At R.O.I. we work with the best ophthalmic equipment, in line with the latest clinical and industry standards. We regularly invest in new devices and are involved in the development of some next-generation devices. Our staff is continuously trained and certified to ensure optimal results in even the most challenging studies.
We are dedicated to implementing a DICOM-based workflow for the majority of our imaging modalities, thereby ensuring that images and descriptive metadata are processed simultaneously. We are using Merge Eye Care PACS (previously OIS Symphony) for safe storage and easy viewing of images, supplemented by device-specific viewers when specialized analyses or viewing operations are required.
Below you find an overview of our equipment and diagnostics tests.
- Corneal Topography (Pentacam HR, Oculus and Cassini)
- Pachymeter (Tomey)
- Confocal Microscopy (CS4, NIDEK)
- Heidelberg Retina Tomograph III + Rostock Cornea Module
- Specular Microscope (Tomey EM-3000 and Topcon specular microscope SP-1P)
- Anterior Segment Module for Optical Coherence Tomography (RTVue 100 and Spectralis OCT)
- Anterior segment OCT (Tomey SS-100)
Biometry and Refraction
- Manual refraction trial lens sets with half-eye frames
- ETDRS Visual Acuity charts R, 1 and 2 and 4m lane
- Auto-refracto-keratometer ( Nidek)
- IOL master (Zeiss)
- Keratometry (Zeiss)
- Lensstar LS 900 Haag-Streit
Retinal and Glaucoma Imaging
- Optical Coherence Tomograph (Spectralis HRA+OCT, RTVue 100 and Canon HS-100)
- Heidelberg Retinal Tomograph (HRT III)
- Fluorescein Angiography (FA) and Indocyanine Green (ICG) Angiography
- Fundus Autofluorescence (FAF)
- Scanning Laser Polarimetry (GDx Pro)
- Wide Field Optical Coherence Tomograph (HE Spectralis OCTplus)
Retinal Angiography and Fundus photography
- Non-mydiatric funduscamera (CR-2 PLUS FAF)
- Fundusphotography (Topcon TRC)
- Fundus autofluorescence (Topcon and Heidelberg)
- Zeiss funduscamera FF450 Plus IR
VEP and ERG
- Espion Diagnosys Electrophysiology System
Visual Field testing
- Humphrey Field Analyzer (HFA II-i)
- Goldmann perimeter
- Microperimeter MP-1 (Nidek)
- Octopus 900 Pro (Haag-Streit)
- Synoptophore 2002 (Haag Streit)
- Goldmann field of single binocular vision
- Slit lamps (Haag Streit)
- Laser Flare Meter (Kowa FM-600)
- Applanation tonometer (Goldmann and Tonopen® tonometer)
- Oculus C-Quant straylight meter